One of the great features of Bidston is the lighthouse, The Wirral Peninsula holds several lighthouses that still remain, but non other sit on top of a hill like the one at Bidston. Here is some History detailing the Bidston Lighthouse.
The Original Bidston Lighthouse.
There has been a lighthouse on Bidston Hill since about 1771, when the first Bidston Lighthouse was built, further from the shore than any other lighthouse in Britain. The tower was octagonal, and the lamp room featured a massive parabolic reflector, 13’6″ in diameter, developed at the Bidston Signals Station by William Hutchinson, Liverpool Harbour Master and one-time privateer.
The present Bidston Lighthouse and Cottages were built by Mersey Docks and Harbour Board in 1873, after the original lighthouse was damaged by fire and demolished. The building is Grade-II listed and is privately owned by a great man and friend of mine who respects the building and its history.
The Lighthouse is open on special occasions and you can follow Stephen Pickles on Twitter to keep updated on the lighthouse and its open days @StephenPickles1